BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 10, 2014

What in the world is Jordan doing with her life?

It has been about two years since I walked across the stage at the Hult Center, and said goodbye to my high school career. Most of my fellow students went off to Universities and are working towards becoming amazing things. They have traveled across the world, and have studied things that have challenged them in one way or another. I can’t say that I have been to another country, or that I am working toward a career that could someday change someone’s life. I am not going to sit here and compare myself to my fellow alumni either.
I would not take back the past two years, I have learned a lot about myself that has helped shaped me into the amazingly happy person I am today, and I have had my own adventures. In the past two year I have changed my major more times than I can count. Starting with Graphic Design, and then criminal psychology to an accountant. I had reached the middle of fall term year two, and decided I had no idea what I was doing, except that the I never ever wanted to be an accountant. I met with a counselor, and we talked about me. We talked about my book that I am writing, that I hated accounting, that I wanted to open my bakery, and that at some point I want to be a mom. My counselor informed me to never take an accounting class again.I laughed and promised it would never happen again. She also told me I should take a career and life planning class. Which she happened to be the teacher of. I took the class and did career assessments that showed different careers that fit my personality.
You and never gonna guess what career kept coming up that fit my personality. Drum roll please! Graphic Designer. There was that career, that when I was 15 I decided was meant for me. I interviewed a Graphic Designer, and fell in love with occupation all over again. So yes it took me 2 years to decide something I decided when I was fifteen. It was then and there that I decided it was time to move forward. There were many different roads I could travel down, but I knew that I wanted to decide fast because I didn’t want to waste anymore time.
In March I started the application process to apply BYUI, and this is where my first scenario comes into play. I have not heard back yet about my application but this is how things would go if Idaho is the place for me. I will be working until December of this year, and then I would move out to BYUI in January of 2015. Then I would start working on becoming a Graphic Designer, and would hopefully be on the winter-spring track. I would not go in the fall because I applied for winter term knowing that I would want to work to save up money for living on my own. After getting my degree I would apply for Jobs all over. Mainly in California, and back in Oregon.
Scenario number two: Lane Community College has a very good Graphic Design program, and I have already taken a few of the required classes. I would stay in Eugene, and move in with my sisters. Still working all summer, but moving in with my sisters for multiple reasons. As most of you know I have been doing online school, but for me to continue on the path to become a Graphic Designer I would need to spend lots of time on campus. Living with my sisters would allow for me to do that. They live quite close to LCC, and I would save on gas money. I would also be helping out my sister while her husband goes on vacation. It would be a win win for everyone. I would be in down in two-years, and then start applying for jobs.
There are pros and cons to both schools, and both scenarios. At this point I am moving forward with both plans. I will make my decision fully in August. This will not be a decision I make on my own, there will be lots of praying, and talking to my family. However I should point out that when I make choice I won’t be making it for someone else. I will not be staying for my sister, I will not be going to BYUI for someone else. I will make my choice for me, and what is best for me. If you have input I would love to hear it.
I won’t be saving people’s lives or studying overseas. But I will be working towards something I love, and something I know will make me happy. Now you know what my future is looking like.

0 comments: